Wednesday, April 18, 2007

They're Going to Suck My Blood

We're back, after more than ten days of non-blogging - I actually missed it. When last we left our hero, Tessa was waiting for a surgery date. Children's had originally hoped to get us in on April 23, but then had called back to invite us for surgery on May 14th. That was the soonest they could secure both a surgery slot in the OR, and a bed in the ICU for recovery. So Joanna and I started to work at being patient and thankful for the wonderful care we are receiving - even while being disappointed at the delay.

We started tackling some of the projects around the house we've wanted to get done before the baby comes (mid June due date). We painted the living room, dining room and entry way. I continued working on the bookcase and mantle in our living room. I built a work bench and took over the Chapel Street entryway as my workshop. Jo continues to sew curtains. And we cleared out what will soon be a quiet corner for the... gulp... baby! I started to re-re-arrange my work responsibilities here at the church, reinserting myself into the preaching schedule, picking up some of the daily duties and getting back into the rhythm of work and life. We even had the chance to get away, just the three pastoral staff here at church, for a retreat of evaluation, planning and praying for the people of our church. It was a refreshing time together, especially well timed since my mom is still here - I didn't feel like I was leaving Joanna all alone with the kids while I went off to play.

This morning, under the misty drizzle that was covering (and almost flooding) the White Mountains in New Hampshire, I got the call from Joanna: the surgery has been reinstated for April 23. That's Monday. That's this coming Monday. That's four days from now.

So that's why we're heading into Boston today to offer up my blood as a directed donation should Tess need it in surgery. We don't know her blood type, so they might not be able to use it. And she probably won't need it. But just in case, they'll have it on hand on Monday as they do the surgery. And if they don't need it, some other deserving soul will get a pint o' Tim for their use. Last time I gave blood, almost 8 years ago now, I almost passed out. We'll see how it goes this time. Justin is coming for moral support... I'll let you know tomorrow.

No comments: